Monday, October 26, 2009

Decorative Star Plaque Makeover

I picked up this star wall plaque thing at Goodwill awhile back. It had serious potential so I coughed up the $7 for it. I think I've mentioned several times that our Goodwill is a little pricey. It did have a Target sticker on the back though so I'm sure it orignally was much more.

desk 047

I took the hooks off and sprayed them with Rustoleum Metallic paint in black. This paint isn't a real dark black, it's almost a dark brownish-black. I also used it on the mirror in my bathroom makeover and it looks like a mix of oil-rubbed bronze and black. I sprayed the wood plaque itself with Rustoleum Heirloom White. (If anyone knows of a spray paint that is slightly more white than Heirloom White without being bright white, please let me know. The Heirloom White is almost a little too cream for me.) It now looks like this:

falltrip2009 003

I cut some scrapbook paper to stick to the back behind the star openings. I then used my Cricut to cut out our initials to stick in the middle of the stars. The "S" is for me, the "B" is for my hubby and the "L" is for our last name.

falltrip2009 004

I shopped around the house for some accessories to hang on the hooks. The flower picture on the left is the one I picked up our trip to Galena, IL. The star ornament in the middle I bought in Colorado. The white bucket on the right is from our wedding. I had them hanging on the pews with flowers inside. I changed out the flowers and ribbon to something more neutral. I will probably end up hanging picture frames or plates from the hooks eventually, but this arrangement works for now.



falltrip2009 008

Here's how it looks in the overall decor of my kitchen. I'm still unsure about the curtains. I can still return them to Target. I'm just not sure if I like them or if I should use shorter valances or long drapes instead. The blinds have to stay unfortunately. I plan to eventually stain and paint the table and chairs so that the table top is a dark wood and the legs and chairs are white.This photo is a bit dark, I'm always trying to take photos at night with bad lighting!

falltrip2009 013

Linking up to all the fun DIY and transformation parties:



DIY Day @ ASPTL







30 comments:

  1. What a good idea! Looks great...loved your Fall Foliage photos, too:)

    Tamera@doubledelight

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great. I thought you were going to say the initials were for your kids, but love how you put your initials in the stars. Thanks for visiting me too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Outstanding idea with the letters...looks great!!! Hope yoy have a wonderful week.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, this is fabulous, seriously cute! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it, great job! I like your kitchen curtains, too & I think that table will look fab made-over the way you described.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute - $7 was a good price :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, gosh! It turned out so cute! I really like what you did with it.

    I hear ya on the heirloom white paint. I think it's too creamy colored, too. Would like something more white without being a true bright white.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! Heirloom white IS very creamy, happens to work in my home, but perhaps its time Rust-Oleum comes out with another color as well!
    Janell

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cute! I love that you took it and updated it! And it looks so cute in your eating nook!

    XOOX
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it looks great! You are so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice job! Love the stars, what a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow I love your transformation I think that was well worth $7. I actually like cream paint - all my furniture and frames are cream but it goes with my decor - I love white as well just not in my house as I have 2 mechanics living here! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it! You can never have too many hangie things.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll visit again :) I LOVE what you did with the star plaque - it is so cute, and I love that is is personalized! Your fall foliage table decor looks great, too!

    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  15. How creative- I love how it turned out!
    Oh, and I agree that Goodwill is pricy!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the wall plaque that you made over. I vote for changing the curtains. :-) Where did you get that great star ornament?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I bought the star ornament in Estes Park, CO while were there this year on vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Sarah! We loved your update...very cute and chic! Thank you so much for your lovely visit!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great re-do. Our Goodwill has gotten very pricey, too. We have a Real Life Ministry thrift shop that is dirt cheap so I do most of my hunting there...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I adore the way it all came together and yet another reason I NEED A CRICUT. I keep showing hubby all the cool things this machine does..

    tammy

    ReplyDelete
  21. ....and I think the windows need floor length panels. The panels between the windows could be a full panel cut in half perhaps. Hang them on short little rods or just tack them to the walls.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks great! And I agree about the metallic black spray paint looking like oil rubbed bronze. I've used it for that look as well. Good job!
    And thanks for stopping by my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cute idea with the plaque, and I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that thinks that Goodwill & Salvation Army can be a bit pricey. Some days I wonder if they think they're a real department store! :) If the blinds have to stay and you like a roman shade look, check out Jenny at Little Green Notebook. She did a GREAT tutorial on how to make roman shades from blinds. I think your kitchen looks great, and can't wait to see the table when it's done. Thanks for the comment on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, and I just found out about a mitre box yesterday. I'm wondering if I'll get confused and mess up, but at least I don't have that much to do.

    ReplyDelete
  25. It looks great! Amazing how the little details make such a big difference. I like what you've hung from the hooks too.

    pk @ Room Remix

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very, very clever makeover! Your table will be fabulous when you get it done! I think I vote for the long drapes, these are cute though! Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  27. Dayka, I have that tutorial bookmarked from Little Green Notebook. I have a different window with mini blinds that I plan on using it for.

    Unfortunately, that kitchen window faces the street so any window covering has to completely cover the window while still letting some light through. That window just has me stumped, because I can't find any arrangement of curtains that I like.

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments, thanks for visiting.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails