Monday, October 12, 2009

The Home Office Makeover Reveal

We finally finished up our home office space this weekend. It was long overdue for some major organization and basic beautifying. We were so eager to get started on the project that we had the room cleared out before I realized that I had missed the crucial step of taking a "before" photo that makes blogging about the transformation much more exciting. Luckily, I had this scrapbook I put together when we first moved in the house 4-1/2 years ago. The home office room had changed little since then. So while they scanned a little wonky because all the embelishments made the pages not lie flat, here are some before pictures.






A bit confusing isn't it? There were also some dark burgundy curtains on the window that really closed in the room along with a tall black bookcase (not shown) that made the room seem much smaller. The desks were cheap and flimsy. So the curtains, bookcase, and desks were banished along with most of the clutter.

Here are some photos of how the space looks now with new paint (Behr Oat Straw), the new desks we built, the corkboards I decorated, a new file cabinet, and a lamp from another room. We also added a rug from IKEA, new curtains from Old Time Pottery, and some shelves from Home Depot. (I'm still working on the arrangement of stuff on the shelves and our bullentin boards are empty for now.)

paint 022

Yes, that's the blur of our dog in action. He runs for cover when the camera comes out.

paint 026

The room looks a little yellow in the photo above, but it's more of a light tan color.

paint 027


paint 024


The rooms not perfect and has more stuff in there then I would like (like hubby's huge speakers and various computer gadgets he refuses to get rid of), but it is so much better than the mess we had before. This room always felt so crowded and dreary before and I didn't even like going in there. Now it's such a fresh and open space. Everything is much more organized and makes paying bills and filing documents easier. It makes blogging in here so much more fun too.

So here's the cost breakdown. I always forget to hang on to all the receipts so some of the prices are estimates.

Desks- $180 for both
Paint- $24
Shelves and brackets- $33.50
Lamp-took from another room, but originally $15
Corkboards and decorations-$15
File Cabinet-$80
Rug-$30
Curtains-$34

Total=$411.50


I will be linking up to all the fun DIY and transformation parties on the following blogs:



DIY Day @ ASPTL
 




 


15 comments:

  1. I think the space is surely coming along great, what a nice space for all of your things, it looks very organized...I am a new follower and i will be back....come visit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great transformation~ That's what Met Monday is all about...
    Hope you are having a great week!
    Rainey

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your new office. So beautiful and peaceful! God's blessings on your week, Sarah :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Much better! Looks like you simplified and organized. :) I love your little note boards. Visiting from Kimba's party. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything looks so Organized! It really just helps with your sanity to know where everything is =) Thanks for stopping by my blog, and for the sweet comment about our coffee/end table redo!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhhhh, much, much better. You have done a fantastic job. I think your desk is wonderful, oh and the curtains, and the wall color and the bullentin board -- ok, I like it all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks so nice and organized!! How wonderful that you have a new clean and spiffy space to blog in now!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice! Looks really organized! Good job :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking gooood!!! Nice job...sooooo organized!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sara,
    You're getting a great start. Isn't it wonderful to de-clutter? I like the new paint, and the desks look much more substantial. What is it with guys and their computer/techy junk (oops, I mean precious items) that they won't get rid of? My husband has drawers and drawers of weird stuff. He say, you never know when you might need something. Hmmm. Sounds like me and my fabric remnants....
    Thanks for stopping by, hope you'll come back soon.
    XO
    Heidi -Heart and Home

    ReplyDelete
  11. So much better! Clean and crisp. I love the wall color. Nice job on a thrifty makeover.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks good to me! Organizing is always therapeutic. Come visit littlelizardking@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome. You did it well. The place looks very much organized. A home-office would really be more productive if it's as organized as yours. Cheers!

    Ellie

    office space

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments, thanks for visiting.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails