Monday, August 10, 2009

Weekend Getaway-Part 2

I'm back with more on our weekend road trip. After a yummy breakfast at our hotel, we headed out to Galena, IL. It's a little over 2 hours from Chicago. The last half or so of the drive goes though some lovely small towns and across hills and valleys with beautiful views of farms and fields. It doesn't feel like you are still in Illinois because of all the gorgeous hills. It's so diferent than the flat as a pancake landscape through most of the state.

chicago_galena 030

The town itself is charming and straight out of a movie. Actually if you've seen "Field of Dreams" part of the movie was filmed in downtown Galena. The actual house and baseball field used in the movie are located not far away in Iowa.

chicago_galena 018

The streets are filled with charming shops and restaurants. Beautiful and historic homes fill the hills nearby.

chicago_galena 017

We ate lunch at Dirty Gurt's Burgers. Here I am waiting for our food.

chicago_galena 024

Hubby enjoying his Blue Moon Burger with blue cheese.

chicago_galena 028

I went with the Sarah Palin burger. It's topped with BBQ ranch, mozzarella, and grilled onions.
They have an Obama burger also if you are at the other end of the political spectrum. I can't remember what came on it though. I can say that the Palin burger is very good. I was only able to eat less than half of it though.

chicago_galena 029

After lunch, we did some more browsing of the shops and driving through the quaint streets.
Believe it or not, but this photo shows the mighty Galena river. See that patch of green bushes and grass in the middle? Galena used to be a steamboat stop and port shipping out lead ore from the mines nearby. The Galena river connected to the Mississippi nearby. The river eventually silted up and Galena remained preserved with the historic homes and buildings. Now the river is more like a creek.

chicago_galena 037


chicago_galena 038

chicago_galena 035

With all those shops to look in, I actually only purchased a couple things. I bought these silk flowers. They were only $1.95. Galena was having a sidewalk sale downtown this weekend, so there were lots of sale tables.

chicago_galena 050

I also picked up this pretty little picture for 70% off. I think I paid $6.99 for it. I'm not sure where I'm going to hang it just yet.

chicago_galena 051

I hoped you enjoy this tour of Galena, it's a neat town to check out if you are ever in the area.

1 comment:

I adore comments, thanks for visiting.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails