Monday, August 24, 2009

The Bathroom Makeover Reveal

I'm linking this post up to DIY day on A Soft Place to Land and Transformation Thursday at the Shabby Chic Cottage. Head on over to both blogs for more DIY goodies.




DIY Day @ ASPTL



We're done! I'm so excited to have this project complete in just a week and a half. There were problems and setbacks like any home improvement project (See this post.) But it all worked out in the end and now I seriously luurrrrve this bathroom!

Here are some before shots of what I we started with. It wasn't bad, just all the builder grade boring floor, vanity, and faucet were really starting to bug me. I do adore my shower curtain and I wanted to use the colors from in it as inspiration for the room.


bathroom 002




Picture 541

Being the lazy blogger I am, I forgot to take before shots of the mirror and faucet. I'm learning to remember to take this important step, really.

So here are some photos from our master bath (which is also on the list for a major overhaul.) Picture a similar plain jane massive mirror with an ivory vanity top and cheapo chrome faucet.


bathroom 068

And of course the dressing room style spotlights that should be outlawed in residential bathrooms. (And those stupid bulbs that burn out all the time and probably equal the energy usage of some third world nation.)

bathroom 069


But that is all behind us in this bathroom. Here's what the room looks like now:


bathroom 066

Ta da! After a lovely coat of Behr Rain Washed on the walls, my own custom blend of colors on the cabinet part of the vanity (See post), new oil-rubbed bronze faucet, mirror, light, and bath hardware along with some fun accessories and of course a new floor, this room is now just what I imagined.

bathroom 059

See the floor? It looks like tile, but it's not. It's actually a laminate designed to look like tile. I'll dedicate a post about this flooring later on.

bathroom 053

Here's my favoritest thing in the room, the glorious faucet. Even though replacing the faucet ending up costing much more because we had to replace the vanity top after the old one broke, it was still worth it.

bathroom 051

I rehung my white cabinet on the wall and added scrapbook paper to the backs of the shelves for some added drama. It houses some seashells, starfish, and two $1.99 IKEA vases. I found a mirror at Old Time Pottery for $20 and gave it a coat of Rustoleum's Oil-Rubbed Bronze metallic paint. I do not recommend the Krylon bronze paint, stick with Rustoleum.

bathroom 062

Here's my new light. A great find on Amazon for only $22.49.


bathroom 042

I'll have several more posts explaining all the details and how-tos in more detail, but that's the overview of the room. Now for the cost breakdown(hubby tossed most of the receipts so these are estimates):

Flooring-Swiftlock laminate tile 2 boxes(Lowe’s)- $95
Underlayment for flooring- $25
Faucet (Overstock.com) -$50
Light (Amazon)- $22.49
Vanity top (Lowe’s)- $84
Mirror (Old Time Pottery) -$20
Spray paint for mirror- $6
Towel bar, ring, T.P. holder (Wal-Mart) -$30
Shower hooks (Garden Ridge)-$6
Trim, quarter round, glue, caulk, wax ring, paint, etc- $60

Total $398.49. So I’ll just call it my $400 bathroom makeover!

17 comments:

  1. Look great! Love the flooring and the dark color on the cabinet!!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara,
    We have very similar tastes because I just love your new bath! Everything...I love it all! The paint color is to die for. I hope you don't mind but I'm going to save this post to refer back to as one of my "inspiration" rooms. You did a great job!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's quite the transformation and you did it so well on a low budget which makes it all that much more fabulous.

    Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love every last bit, especially the light, faucet and mirror.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I LOVE your bathroom re-do! It is just perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where are you finding the Rustoleum paint? I can't find it anywhere anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought the Rustoleum paint at either Lowe's or Home Depot. I think it was Lowe's.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great! We plan to makeover the kids bathroom soon...well someday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where did you get the shower curtain? I just love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The shower curtain I bought at Bed, Bath, and Beyond a couple years ago. I think it was $39.99 which was a major splurge for me, but I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your guest bath is exactly what mine looks like! (the before) I have been contemplating painting my cabs black, so you gave me a good "after" view. I recently bought a shower rod that is the rubbed bronze look at either Walmart or Target (can't remember now) and was only like $10. That'd make a nice pop against your shower curtain if you did that! Anyway, love it!

    Stopping by from ASPTL...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohh! I love that paint color! We have a very similar guest bath and I have been thinking about painting our vanity black. Yours looks great girl!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks really good, Sara! It turned out so nice. What do the pictures on the wall look like?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your faucet and the painted vanity looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE this makeover. It looks so similar to my bathroom before and afters! It looks like you have typical boring new or new-ish construction, as do I. My bathroom also had the bar of lightbulbs above the vanity, the same ugly cheap faucet, and the huge plain-jane mirror. The walls were white, and the vanity was wood, like yours. I went with a blue tone on the walls - slightly greyer than yours, and actually I love yours and now wish I'd gone with that shade. The problem is, my conception of the bathroom evolved as I went along and I wasn't originally sure what the whole color scheme would be. I've also gone with oil-rubbed bronze for fixtures, and found a mirror at Target in oil-rubbed bronze (and again, very similar to your new mirror.) The one thing I haven't done, but have considered, is painting the vanity. My husband is strongly against this because he thinks it will look bad, but I think having a dark vanity is the one thing needed to make the room look "finished," and I'd rather not buy a whole new one. I would like to paint it a dark brown, almost black, similar to yours. Could you post details about preparation and paint type for that part of the project? (Maybe you already did, I will look.)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful Makeover love the colors

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments, thanks for visiting.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails