With the new year starting, I wanted to do a recap of the various projects we completed in 2009. I first started my blog in May so these are different DIY accomplishments in each room I posted about in my first half year of blogging. I might do a second post to recap some of the various individual projects that took place, but here is a rundown on how the rooms started and ended 2009.
First we started with giving the front of our house a bit of a facelift.
It went from this slightly dated before:
To this spruced up after:
The project involved painting the vinyl shutters, spray painting the exterior lights, and adding a coat of Behr Sly Fox to the front door. New house numbers and some trimming of the bushes completed the look.
The Living Room
I also completed several small projects in the living room including adding new curtains, pillows, and other accessories. A new furniture arrangement was the final piece of the transformation puzzle.
And the after:
The next major room makeover happened in our hall bathroom. The original lighting, vanity, and flooring were pretty dated and boring.
So we added new laminate flooring, painted the vanity, added a coat of paint to the walls, installed a new light fixture, changed out the faucet, and added some new hardware and decorative touches.
Once the bathroom work was wrapped up, we turned our attention to our home office space which was a chaotic, disorganized mess.
We built our own desks, added madeover corkboards, new shelves, and a coat of paint. I scored a clearance chair at Garden Ridge to complete the look.
The kitchen wasn't that bad, but I was a little tired of the yellow and blue color scheme. The light fixture over the table had been bugging me for quite sometime also.
I repainted the walls in Glidden Whisper Wheat, added new curtains, spray painted the curtain rods oil-rubbed bronze, changed out the light, and made over a Goodwill star plaque.
The final room in our home that had a little updating this year was our master bedroom. It started out that I wanted to update the tired old headboard and get some new bedding because ours was starting to fall apart.
I added a creamy coat of paint to the headboard, new curtains from IKEA, lovely new beddding from Target, banished the TV and dresser from the corner, added a new ottoman, painted a chair to create a cozy nook in the corner, and spruced up some plain picture frames.
We are already hard at work at updating our master bathroom. We should have that project wrapped up by next weekend as there are only a few small details left. That will be our first room makeover to share for 2010.