Friday, June 26, 2009

Garden Klutz

I'm not much of a gardener. I love flowers, but hate having to water, prune, fertilize, whatever all that stuff you are supposed to do. I just pop them in the ground and they better survive and come back next year. (No annuals for me.) I will pull weeds, but that's about it. Luckily, most of my plants do make it most of the time unless they are consumed by the rabbit herds.  They are fighters, but no one stands a chance against the mighty bunny appetite.

This year we decided to try our hand at growing veggies in containers on our deck. We used containers because our yard is full of those pesky rabbits. They are cute, but they nibble on anything edible. And not edible. They have chewed holes in the wooden lattice underneath our deck. So we went with containers. You can see the start of our gardening in this post.

The thought of crisp, fresh veggies right from our own deck was too pleasing. So we started seeds indoors. Some of them survived, others wilted away. Once it was warm enough, we moved the plants outside. We do water the containers fairly regularly. Ok, hubby waters them anyways. Still we don't have much to show for our effort. We have some 3 in tall pepper plants. They don't seem to be getting any taller. I think I have lettuce in this one. I planted a salad mix, but I'm not sure if I have more weeds or lettuce. It looks like lettuce. Of course, I also heard it you leave it too long it gets bitter?



This one is supposed to be celery. I'm not sure what I've got going on here besides a nice weed mix:



I did have some success with the herbs I planted although I have yet to use any of them and I'm not sure if I will. One of them is coriander and I don't even know what that is. It came in a package of herbs so I planted it. I have yet to look up exactly what it is and where to use it. I have some basil, oregano, and chives I might use. I'm not sure if fresh herbs are worth all the work though.





But they at least look nice, right?

I do have some green onions planted that I use all the time. Just snip and go and they grow back super fast. I think next year we will just stick with the grocery store veggies. I think our efforts were in vain. We are garden klutzes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

I adore comments, thanks for visiting.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails