Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Laminate Bookcase Makeover-Part 2

So, way back when, I posted the first laminate bookcase that I gave a makeover to. Then it took me several months to get around to doing a post about the second bookcase's new look. I think it's because I like how the taller bookcase is decorated and accessorized better. This one is a bit too cluttered compared to the first one, but it is useful for storage purposes. Here she is hanging out in a corner of our master bedroom.


This bookcase had the same paint treatment as the first one. Some primer followed by a coat of Behr's Pot of Cream paint in semi-gloss. I had to whack the shelves in place with a hammer because they were so tight fitting back into the bookcase after the layers of paint were added.

I also added the same moulding around the top using my nail gun friend.



I found some pretty damask wrapping paper at Hallmark to add to the back of the inside. I love the blue and brown colors together.


I decided to use the bottom shelf to hold my scrapbook albums. I wished that they matched a little better because all the colors look a bit chaotic together. I thought about doing a little curtain in front like I did for the taller bookcase, but the scrapbooks stick out too far outside the shelves for that to work. I also added a couple picture frames and some candles to fill in the shelves.

Over the bookcase, I decided to hang this shadowbox I bought at Marshall's for $12.99. The front of it has a handly little door that you can pull open to easily get to the inside. I figured it would make a nice place to hang and display some of my jewelry using the pearl pins that were included with the box to hang the necklaces and earrings on.


The door keeps my necklaces  safe away from Emma's little paws. She looooves to chase after my necklaces. In face, she even comes running as soon as she hears my jewelry box or the shadowbox door open and tries to grab the necklaces out of my hand.


I added a scrap of beadboard to cover the top of the bookcase. This also helped hide the gap between the edge of the top of the bookcase and the inside edge of the trim around the top.

A reminder of how the bookcase looked before in all her light oak glory holding books in my craftroom/workout room/storage area/room in progress:


And now:


11 comments:

  1. This turned out beautifully. I have a few of those ugly but useful bookcases. Thanks for the idea/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!!! I love the damask in the back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you did a great job! LOVELY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it looks great, and not cluttered at all. Even the scrapbook colours tone together and are pleasing to the eye.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that turned out fantastic! I, too, have an oak laminate bookcase that might just get this same treatment. It looks great! Love it.

    ~Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your shelf looks so good. Love the paper on the back and the moulding. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks really good. Except for Emma! She's a crazy looking cat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful makeover...luv that wrapping paper!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really think this looks fantastic. I liked the first one a lot, but I might actually like this one even better. And, the scrapbooks work very well - great job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That looks beautiful, Sara!! I have an ugly bookshelf in my bedroom that I may have to makeover now. Thanks for all the great ideas! :)
    The picture of the kitty made me smile. She sure does want those necklaces badly, doesn't she? So cute.
    Hope you are having a great Memorial Day weekend!
    Beth.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi from Dollar Store D'ecor. I am giving you an award. I hope you come over and check it out.

    http://budgetsonadime.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments, thanks for visiting.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails